Your First Steps Toward a Career in Real Estate
Are you interested in a career in real estate but know absolutely nothing about it? You’re not alone! Many top South Carolina real estate agents began with no experience but were drawn to an interesting and challenging career that could help them build a better life on their own terms. If this sounds like you, here’s a brief guide to beginning a rewarding career in real estate.
While the idea of “going back to school” may not be particularly appealing, real estate school is shorter and more focused on what you need to know to succeed. No fluff and wasted courses here! Completing real estate school is required in South Carolina and every other state. You will learn about:
- Important legal aspects of real estate
- Industry best practices
- Processes of buying a home
- Processes of selling a home
- Closing steps
- Land descriptions
- How to acquire and transfer property
- State disclosure policies
- Illegal practices to avoid
The South Carolina Real Estate School is an accredited, professional real estate school that provides the high-quality training you need to pass your state exam and excel in your career. They offer live ZOOM training classes and work-at-your-own-pace online classes. Regardless of the path you choose, you will receive everything you’ll need to take and pass the South Carolina state real estate licensing exam, plus extra resources to help you excel.
Get Your License
In order to qualify for a South Carolina real estate salesperson license, you must first meet the following requirements:
- You must be at least eighteen (18) years of age or older.
- You must have graduated high school or hold a certificate of equivalency recognized by the United States Department of Education.
- You must have successfully completed a total of 90 hours of approved instruction at an accredited real estate school. (60 hours - Unit I Fundamentals of Real Estate, and 30 hours - Unit II Advanced Real Estate Principles).
The application process includes the following steps:
- Complete the written application and submit it to the SC Real Estate Commission.
- Pay the $25 application fee.
- Provide approved personal identification.
- Provide proof of SC residency.
- Provide proof of education (high school diploma and real estate school transcripts).
- Complete the Personal History Questionnaire (some explanations may require additional forms).
- Complete fingerprint and Social Security background checks.
Once these items have been completed and approved, you will be to take the examination for state licensure. Pay the testing fee at the time of testing and complete the exam. Your results will be sent directly to the SC Real Estate Commission office. Once notified of your passing results, the Commission will send you a notice of what to provide to receive your license.
Get Connected with a Great Team
You must be associated with a brokerage registered in South Carolina to obtain a real estate license. Choose a real estate brokerage team that is dedicated to your success like Jeff Cook Real Estate.
Jeff Cook Real Estate trains winners. Our agents are consistently in the top-ranked levels for sales in South Carolina because we teach them how to serve clients with excellence. It begins with cultivating a culture of family that is then passed on to our clients. Then we continually invest in our team members with:
- Administrative Support
- A Culture of Success
Review the Careers page and contact us to learn more about joining the JCRE team!